December 26, 2019 – Hiking in the Taunus

It’s Christmas, so my humans told me. My humans did not celebrate much on Christmas Eve, which is called Heiligabend here in Germany. Normally people have a decorated Christmas tree in the house, with presents and the family gathers. Before we left Germany in 2015 the humans used to have a nice dinner together. My mistress prepared a goose filled with apples and chestnuts with dumplings, red cabbage and gravy as well as a desert, and after they had dinner they exchanged presents, played games and had a lot of fun. In our case my humans and I gathered, as usually. I got a very special dish to celebrate the day – cottage cheese! My mistress prepared a special meal too just not a goose.
Normally my humans work until the evening but today they stopped working by noon and enjoyed the rest of the day. My mistress was a sad because she misses the rest of the family but somehow she wasn’t able to see them since summer time although some of them just live about 20 km away. I could feel that she was sad and I tried to comfort her – that’s my job and I love my job. Who wouldn’t love to cuddle?

On December 25 we visited my mistress’s stepmother. She prepared coffee, cookies and Stollen and a meal later the afternoon. I had to stay in the hallway as I love to wag my tail and in this case I might have smashed the coffee cups on the living room table. Staying in the hallway of the apartment wasn’t a big deal. I had a comfortable carpet to lie on, could see my humans and take a looooooong nap.

So much for the relaxing program. Today we went hiking in the Taunus. The Taunus is a mountain range in Hessen, not far from Frankfurt. The tallest peak is the Grosse Feldberg. There are a lot of geothermal springs in the area and mineral water. You can buy that water in the supermarket. The Taunus is covered with forest. In the winter you can go skiing on the Grosse Feldberg.
One place where a lot of hikers go to is the Fuchstanz. There are two restaurants there where you can have lunch, cake and coffee and in the wintertime you can have Glühwein. My mistress told me that when she was in school they hiked to the Fuchstanz quite often and in the winter they had a sleigh ride from the Fuchstanz right to the front door of where she lived. They even had sleigh rides in the dark and once in a while they bummed into a tree.
It’s about 2 km to walk to the Fuchstanz from the parking lot.
My humans released me from the leash and I was able to run around. I mainly stayed on the hiking path but ran a very short distance in the forest once in a while. There was so much to smell and so many interesting things to see. It felt like heaven being in the woods again. Canada has woods but they are different and this one in the Taunus felt like home to me. My humans didn’t stop at the Fuchstanz for a snack or something to drink, we returned back to the car, another 2 km to run for me. I think that was the best day I had for a long time. All the people we met while hiking smiled at me and I was so happy. What a perfect afternoon.
In the evening we went to Peter’s moms house and the humans had dinner again. I was so tired from hiking that I didn’t care and I enjoyed a nice nap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021

Mediterranean Sea and running free in Broccostella – October 17, 2021