February 5, 2019 – Longhorns and German dialects

We stayed in Fort Worth for another day. My humans wanted to go to the Stockyards in Fort Worth. The Fort Worth Stockyards is a historic district. It holds a former livestock market.
In the late 1800s the cattle were trailed along the Chisholm Trail to the railheads. Fort Worth was the last stop to get rest and supplies.
Between 1866 and 1890 drovers trailed more than 4 million cattle through Fort Worth.
In 1876 the railroad arrived in Fort Worth and became a major shipping point for livestock.
You can read more about the Fort Worth Stockyards here: https://www.fortworthstockyards.org.

We arrived early when there weren’t many people. My humans wanted to be on time for the Cattle Drive. First we visited the area where the cattle, hogs and sheep were kept and were trailed in the railroad. That was very interesting. They have a cowboy church but as it wasn’t Sunday there was no service. While we were waiting for the Cattle Drive to start some cows passed us. Well, not that kind of cows you might think of. These were Texas Longhorns. Their horns can extend to over 1.80 m / 5.9 ft. from tip to tip for bulls. That might not seem a lot when you read this, but I can tell you it’s very impressive. A cowboy rode one of the longhorns that passed us.
At 11.30 am the Cattle Drive started. The longhorns came very close and I was a little bit scared. They seemed to be interested in me but I did not move.
After the cattle drive was over my humans took me closer to one of the longhorns. To be precise they took me closer to that longhorn that was ridden by the cowboy earlier. People can sit on the longhorn and have pictures taken. My humans wanted to take a picture of me with the longhorn and George, that very nice and polite cowboy agreed to it. The longhorn completely ignored me, it seemed to be a very arrogant animal, did not even respond when I said hello. My humans gave George one of my business cards and when we met him again later he already had a look at my blog. Thank you George for letting my humans take pictures of the longhorn and me.
We also met a nice woman sitting on a coach and taking people for a ride. The horse for that coach wanted to say hello to my mistress. You know, she’s got that thing with animals. Animals just like her and try to make contact. The horse tried to approach her but wasn’t allowed. It was a friendly horse; I had a little talk with it.

My humans walked around the stockyards and we saw the Stockyard Hotel where Bonnie & Clyde stayed for one night and the White Elephant Saloon. We met two wonderful old ladies that explained a little bit about the Stockyards and we visited the museum.

After all that walking my humans were tired and decided to have lunch. They had spareribs, all you can eat! That smell was amazing. My mistress gave me some of her spare ribs because she couldn’t eat them any more. OMG, what a taste.

We went back to Ortrud’s house and shortly after we arrived Ortrud came back from work. She told my humans that they might have some people coming over in the evening.
After they had dinner Bruni arrived. Bruni is from Germany; she came to the USA many years ago. Originally she was from Bavaria and you can still hear her slang when she talks German. The humans talked German all evening long. My mistress and Bruni talked for a while, while my master made a balloon flower bouquet for Ortrud and Bruni and Ortrud made sure the kids went to bed.
A little later Doris arrived. Doris is originally from Baden-Wuerttemberg and immigrated the USA many, many years ago. She also talked in her slang. That was really funny, they all talked German but you could hear they all came from different areas. They laughed a lot and fun. We went to bed late this evening and my humans wanted to leave early next morning.




Professional Reader


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021

Mediterranean Sea and running free in Broccostella – October 17, 2021