October 29, 2018 – Ouch!

A couple of days ago I was running around the house. You need to know that there are very many trees around the house; it’s almost a little forest. Some of the trees are cut down and just lying there. As I was running around I must have hurt myself. The skin was scratched but it didn’t seem to be a big wound, just as big as a penny on my shoulder and my head. It didn’t hurt and so I didn’t show it to my mistress. A couple of days later it started to hurt and it was getting worse every day. My mistress had already noticed that something wasn’t right and she looked at the wounds. They were triple the size now and full with pus. My mistress has seen the wounds before as she looked for ticks every day but over night it got really bad as I was scratching the wounds with my paws. The last days my mistress put some essential oils on the wound and gave me some medicine.
One afternoon my mistress went to Oak Knoll Stables to help feeding the horses and Caroline put some medicine on my wounds. They use that for the horses too.

Back at Joyce’s house my humans put me a shirt on to keep me from scratching. No, I definitely don’t like wearing shirts and I think I look stupid wearing a Mickey Mouse t-shirt.

Nothing helped and it got worse. My mistress was worried sick about me. She couldn’t touch me any more because as soon as she touched me close to the wounds I showed her that this really hurts very badly. My humans decided to take me to the vet but they had to wait until Monday.
On Monday they called the vet first thing in the morning and we had an appointment two hours later. When we arrived at Ganaraska Animal Clinic I was a little worried because I am used to my vet Dr. Schlimm in Germany. He is the nicest vet you can think of.
The vet at Ganaraska Animal Clinic was nice too; she was very carefully not to touch my wound while she was examining me. She told my humans that she wanted to shave the area around the wounds and that she would take me with her to another room. My mistress told her that it might be better if she was with me as she can calm me down. The vet said that this wouldn’t be possible. Well, to make a long story short, I didn’t let them touch me to shave me. I gave them a hard time, no I did not try to bite them or be violent at all. The vet took me back to my humans and asked my mistress to put me a muzzle on. I never had to wear something like that and I refused to do so now. My mistress tried twice and wasn’t very convincing.
The vet gave up and gave my humans some antibiotics and disinfection pads as well as some painkillers to treat me. My humans had to pay a lot of money for that short visit at the vet but they are happy to do so when it makes me healthy again.

After I took the antibiotics it took two weeks until the wounds were starting to heal. Since the wounds started to be infected I felt really tired and not interested in anything. All I wanted to do is sleep and eat. My mistress treated me with some special treats to make me swallow the antibiotics. A few days ago she finally cut free me from the old skin that was on the wounds. That’s way better now and not itchy any more.
Today we visited Ken and Caroline and I played with Amie and Velcro, their dogs. We had so much fun running around while my mistress and Caroline fed the horses. Amie is deaf but Velcro is telling her whenever one of the humans says something to her or calls her.
When you see Amie it is hard to belief that she had a different life before she came to Caroline and Ken. She was six years old when she finally came to Oak Knoll Stables and had six different owners. None of them wanted to keep her because she was deaf and obviously none of them let her run without a leash. She was scared of everything and very shy. Now she is not shy any more, she is free to run on the property and loved by all humans and animals. You should have a look at www.OakKnollStables.com to see pictures of her and Maestro.
Caroline and Ken invited my humans and me for dinner tonight. My humans liked that very much. I was able to spent more time with Velcro and Amie. We enjoyed sitting in front of the fireplace.

I feel way better and I don’t have to take antibiotics any more. Thank you to Ganaraska Animal Clinic for helping me getting better!




Professional Reader

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mediterranean Sea and running free in Broccostella – October 17, 2021

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021