August 25, 2018 – Moose, buffalo and deer

The next morning the paddlers had to get up very early as they had to leave at 7 am to paddle. Everybody went to bed early. My humans were told they could sleep in the next morning and were not needed to haul cars or canoes. Instead my humans packed everything for the Kayak Challenge and dinner later that day and we left to Timmins early. On our way my mistress had to get some more groceries for the brigade for breakfast next morning.

When we arrived at the Kayak Challenge my humans helped David to set up the baker tent and my humans took care of all the display. As soon as they were finished they started making balloons for the people. There weren’t many kids and most of the people were in the trapper’s tents with all the fur for display. My mistress told me they had all kinds of furs: bear, coyote, beaver, polar fox and way more.

My mistress told me that there are people out there in the world that are against killing animals and wearing furs. Hmmm, I am against killing animals too but I learned a lot while traveling. Things are different here than in Germany for example.
Here in Canada it gets very, very cold in the winter. Remember I told you we had -48°C/-54.4F last winter here at Tim’s place? Well, I was glad I had my nice thick winter fur that kept me warm. I can imagine that my humans would have been better off if they had fur themselves or at least could wear a fur coat or fur in their shoes. People here had worn fur for thousands of years in the winter to survive. Why shouldn’t they do it now? My humans put blankets over me in the night when it was cold and I tell you that wasn’t close to having a fur.
Yes, to wear a fur as a human being you have to kill an animal, but sometimes there is a need for that. I am not talking about farms where animals are kept just to kill them to get their fur later. Look at the beavers for example. If the trappers here in Canada would not take care of the beavers, means get rid of some of them, Canada would be flooded because of the beaver damns. Or maybe you remember I told you that there are Coyotes in Pahrump, walking through the neighbor hood during the day and the night. Maybe there are too many coyotes out in the desert to find enough food and they come into the city to find food. I don’t think it is a bad thing to protect the humans (yes and the dogs ;-) from being attacked by coyotes.
I do agree it is a very sensible theme to talk about and I am aware that there are people on both sides that have good arguments for their point of view. There is no need to kill animals just to get the fur but if there is another good reason to kill that animal, as to protect the environment I think it is ok. If the animal belongs to an endangered species or it is getting there I think it should be protected.
For the people in Germany for example it is something extraordinaire to see a coyote, a bear, a moose or a wolf. In Northern Ontario for example this is quite normal. People in Timmins have bears in front of their house almost every day during spring, summer and fall. The bears are caught, marked and released somewhere else. After the same bear comes back for the third time it will be killed because it will continue coming back where the food is in your garbage bins. Feeding them and let them have your garbage attracts them and they aren’t stupid, they look for an easy way to find something to eat.
Me, I personally thing nature should be in a biological balance. You humans messed that balance up by building cities, changing rivers, spraying pesticides and other poison and way more. Some animals just don’t have natural enemies any more. So it is your duty to get a balance back. If this means killing some animals than that’s what you have to do and on the other side you humans should make sure not to mess up the biological balance with poisoning the environment.
Don’t get me wrong, this is just my point of view as a dog and I might not be educated enough to see the whole picture or I might have gotten something wrong. I love hearing the coyotes and wolves howling and smell the bear.

Excuse me; I got sidetracked again – back to the Kayak Challenge.

My humans made some balloons and around 1 pm they started to look out for the Voyageur Canoes to come in. They came in a little later and were greeted by drumming and singing Native Women.
The paddlers stayed there until 3.30 pm and after that they paddled to Cedar Meadows. My master went with Nick to drive one of the trucks to Cedar Meadows where to canoes would be loaded on the trailer. My mistress and Roz, one of the paddlers, took our van and went to Cedar Meadows too and they took me with them. If I would have known what will happen there and would have forced them to drive faster.
After the canoes arrived at Cedar Meadows some of the paddlers went to the National Exhibition Center in Timmins where they saw a dugout canoe that was found in Frederick House Lake. Some of the paddlers just took a break in the bar or outside to relax. My humans and I as well as some other paddlers went on a wild life wagon tour. Wow, that was amazing. A tractor pulled that wagon and that very nice man that drove the tractor gave the humans some branches and pellets to fee the wild life. I wasn’t sure what kind of wildlife we were supposed to see. I know what a deer is, I have seen them at the Opel Zoo in Kronberg (Germany) and some other wild animals as well as a cheetah, polar fox, giraffe, monkeys, meerkat, camel, elephants and more. I was curious what kind of wildlife we would see there.
It was a bumpy ride in that wagon. At first there was nothing, a couple of swans and ducks. After a while we saw deer and they looked just like the ones I saw at the Opel Zoo. It was fallow deer and they were the same kind here as the ones in Germany.
A couple of minutes later we saw some other deer. There even was a white one with her baby. The baby was white too and his name was Peanut. The elk was impressing but just until I saw the buffalo. That was really impressing. It just stood there and looked at me. His head is soooooo big and so are his feet and the rest of it. The humans took a lot of pictures and videos and fed them all.
After a long time we went on because they humans wanted to see the moose. Mr. Driver, sorry I forgot your name Mr. Driver, honked for the moose to show up and told everybody to look for the moose in the woods. Suddenly the tractor stopped and Mr. Driver said he could see him. I could not see anything but trees that moved a little bit. The moose came closer, slowly. And finally he approached – Felix the moose. He looked so peaceful and relaxed. The humans could touch him and feed him. I tried to touch him too and I finally made it. He didn’t seem to be scared of me.
What a beautiful animal, very impressive.
Isn’t that amazing that I could be part of that and see all these animals? Life is great and I enjoy traveling with my humans.

After the wagon ride the humans had dinner. That’s right the humans and nobody thought about me. I was starving. It smelled so good and I didn’t get anything. I had to wait till we got home to get my food. That’s not fair. My mistress needs to work on this; it’s not ok to let me wait to have food until we are back home late in the evening.

Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa (www.cedarmeadows.com) is a hotel and restaurant where you can have very good food and nice accommodations. They offer wild life wagon rides, sleigh rides, canoeing, snow mobile trails and way more. Also they have a spa area where you can have different treatments like Body Treatments such as Blueberry Bliss Slimming Wrap or Chocolate Decadence or Massages and a Hydro Fusion Jet-Spa. It is very nice there and my humans said the food was very good too.

Even the Mayor of Timmins showed up and gave a little speech. He had to leave early and some of the other paddlers spoke. Moira, she normally is very quiet, gave a little speech too. She told us how paddling changed her life after she had a brain tumor. I did not know what that meant but my mistress explained it to me. A brain tumor is when something grows in your head that does not belong there and it destroys the brain, as there is only so much room in the head. It is a very bad disease and Moira was lucky to survive this and recover after her surgery when they took out the tumor. I never had the feeling she was sick she seemed to be just fine. Maybe that’s because she wasn’t sick any more when I met her. Well, what she said was that after the surgery she had to learn everything new, to walk, to use her hand and way more. Paddling helped her with that and it helped her getting healthy and happy. I am happy that she was part of the True North Voyageur Brigade 2018 and the brigade last year. My humans like her very much and they were impressed by her story and her life. Thank you Moira for letting me near you although you are afraid of dogs.

Jeff, one of the paddlers of the Sault Ste. Marie crew told us he had Leukemia and paddling helped him too to get healthy again.

Isn’t that amazing, you meet people and you would never guess what they went through. My mistress always tells me, don’t judge people of what they do and say, there might be a story behind that. Well, some people are just not my cup of tea so to speak. I just don’t like them or their attitude but I think that’s ok. It’s only very few people I don’t like and they probably don’t like me either.

At the end they took group pictures and I was in the pictures too – well, I am the mascot I need to be in these pictures don’t you think?

My humans and I took Roz with us in the van and we went home. The paddlers had to go back to the Kayak Challenge to grab their gear.
When we arrived in camp I finally got my food and we went straight to bed. I dreamed of moose, deer and buffalos. Oh what a dream!



Professional Reader

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021

Mediterranean Sea and running free in Broccostella – October 17, 2021