March 27, 2018 – Death Valley, Zabriskie Point

Today was my mistress’ birthday. I know what birthday means; do you think I’m stupid? I am a well-educated dog! Well, depending on what you would call educated. I can tell by sniffing if that pee on the tree is from a male or female dog, a big one or a small one or even not from a dog at all. Also I can tell if I am hungry or tired and I am also capable of telling my humans that or tell them that I have to go and mind my private business. Not to forget, I understand and speak several languages.

Where was I, ah, yes, birthday. In the morning my humans sat on their stupid monitors where they moved their fingers on something they call keyboard and mouse. They keep telling me what they do is work and that this provides them with the necessary money to buy my food. No, no, don’t get me wrong, I am fine with this as long as I get my food and they let me sleep. Shush, I was sidetracked again.
As I said, they went back to “work” again and after a while my mistress got up and went into the kitchen to start cooking. She made a cake and Lasagna. Oh I tell you, that smell of that Lasagna – if only I would get this as my meal.

At about noon my humans had cooked the Lasagna, baked the cake and got all dressed up. Now I got exited. If they dress up that normally means we will go on a ride with the car. Told you I am a clever dog, the put me my harness on and let me jump into the car. No I was sure, we are going somewhere. They weren’t dressed up like going to Walmart; they are way more casual dressed for that. My mistress had her best jeans on, the one she bought in Texas a couple of years ago with all that stones on it. They told me we are going to Death Valley.
Are they crazy? Do they want to kill me? Death Valley means you will die in the valley, doesn’t it? No, I don’t want to go there!!!! But on a second thought, if my humans want to go there it can’t be too bad. Let’s wait and see what that will be like.

We drove about an hour, from Pahrump towards California. We passed Ash Meadows and Death Valley Junction and went on driving. After about an hour my humans stopped at an Information Point in Death Valley National Park where they had to pay the entrance fee for the park. My mistress came back without that ticket, as the machine did not work properly. She was told that we have to drive to the Visitor Center at Furnace Creek to pay the fee. That was another 13 miles.
On the way to Furnace Creek we stopped at Zabriskie Point, which is mainly a point where you have a great view on the beautiful mountains around you. As I am an emotional service dog I was allowed to go with my humans and see for myself how awesome that is, even for a dog like me. Just look at the pictures my humans took.

I told you earlier I am a well educated dog and therefore I will tell you a little bit about Death Valley and Zabriskie Point later.

After we went back into the car we drove on until we reached the Visitor Center in Furnace Creek. My humans parked the car and we went inside where my mistress paid the entrance fee. It was nice and cool in the visitor center compared to 85 F/29.4 C outside. They told me it is way hotter in the summer time in Death Valley. I don’t think I would like that.

My humans wanted to go to Badwater Basin and go see the sliding rocks. Excuse me, sliding rocks?
Badwater Basin is noted as the lowest point in North America, with a depth of 282 ft. (86 m) below sea level. Well, luckily there is no lake here or we would have to swim. But there is a spring-fed pool of “bad water” next to the road.

We did not make it to the sliding rocks because we ran out of time but my humans told me we would be back.

Death Valley can be deadly, I am sure about that. It gets very hot in the summer time. The average temperature in July is between 88F/31 C and 117F/ 47C. My mistress told me she has been to Death Valley in 1979 in July and it was very, very hot and there is almost no humidity. Death Valley holds the record of the highest officially recorded temperature with 134F/56.7 C on July 10, 1913.
This is too hot for me although I love the sun. Can you imagine being in the desert all dressed in black? Remember, my fur is dark, black with a little grey and brown.

I had a good time in the back of the car looking out of the window while my humans sat in the front. From Badwater Basin we went back to Pahrump via Shoshone. My humans had to go to Walmart to get some ingredients for dinner as my mistress wanted to serve garlic bread with the lasagna.

It was already 5 pm when we came back home and I was hungry. Can you believe that, they made me wait until they finished having dinner and while I waited I had to smell the lasagna and cake. This is not fair. I should be the first to be served. Maybe I should talk to my mistress and let her know that she has to change her priorities.

I was very tired that evening, so much to see and smell that day.

You want to know more about Death Valley? Here it is:
Death Valley is in the east of the Mojave Desert bordering the Great Basin Desert, located in eastern California. Death Valley National Park has an area of about 3,000 sq. miles/7800 km2. As I told you the lowest point is Badwater Basin – the highest point is Telescope Peak, which has an elevation of 11,043 ft. / 3366m. While we were in Death Valley there was still snow on Telescope Peak.
If you want to know more about Death Valley National Park please look here https://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm.

Zabriskie Point is composed of sediments from Furnace Creek Lake. That lake dried up about 5 million years ago. For more about Zabriskie Point look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zabriskie_Point




Professional Reader

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021

Our new home – January 4, 2022