June 26, 2017 - Rapides de Joachims via Deep River via Petawawa to Pembroke

June 26, 2017 Rapides de Joachims – Deep River - Petawawa – Pembroke

Today we went up early again and my humans had breakfast while I had to stay out of the kitchen.

When we were out there were a lot of mosquitos again and they tried to bite me again. Luckily my mistress saw this and put me in the car to stay safe.
My humans had to transfer a lot of cars to Pembroke, which is about a 1-hour drive for 67 km.

Marc, Marc and Nick did not want to paddle today, as Marc wasn’t feeling too good. The paddlers launched into the lake in front of the lodge.
If I would have known that I had to stay in the car all day long I might have stayed at the lodge.

First my humans, Marc, Marc and Nick took the trailers to Pembroke to the campground. Luckily we found this easily. We went back to Deep River to meet the paddlers there for their lunch break. On the way we back we stopped at Tim Horton’s in Deep River, as my humans needed a coffee. I didn’t get anything and to be honest I don’t like this. I need to teach them to give me treats in between.
After this we went to the Marina in Deep River and waited for the canoes. It was nice and sunny and I went into the river to cool my belly because my mosquito stitches itched a lot.

The canoes showed up about 20 minutes later and they had a lunch break.
Somebody else showed up, he was at the launch this morning already. Tim explained my humans who he was. His son, Don Smith, owned a business called Valley Adventures. He built a canoe by himself and went on a journey from Deep River to James Bay. He passed away. The humans had a minute of silence for him and my mistress and my master took pictures of the canoes passing the light tower.
After lunch break the paddlers went back into the canoes and my humans and the other drivers went back to Swisha to shuttle all the cars to Pembroke.
With the brigade we had three trucks with trailers on it and five cars. My mistress also went to do groceries in Petawawa for all of the voyageurs.
It was a little hard to find the place where they would arrive as we only had maps for water streets. The first place was in the military area and we figured this would not be open to us. We went to the other point, which was a little nice beach in Pembroke.

At 7 pm my mistress was finally back after and we waited for the canoes. It started raining and after a while we got a phone call that they arrived in Pembroke but at a different point. They arrived at Black Bear Campground, which was a 5 minutes drive. I had to go back in the car, which wasn’t that, bad as it was raining. Remember, I hate rain and water.

It was raining pretty hard when we picked them up and they were all soaked. The humans had to bring the trailers for the canoes and a car with seven seats to get everybody in the car.
There was still not enough room for all of the humans and my mistress and I waited for my master to come back and pick us up. Alan and Moira waited with us. While we were waiting I got some treats from the lady at the campground. She felt sorry because I was wet and I made the saddest face I could make to get more treats. It always works because I am very good in making faces.

My humans and Alan went back to the Lakeside campground where we would stay. They weren’t really looking forward to set up the tent in this rain. We all were tired and hungry. I think my day was worse than the paddler’s day because I had to sit in the car all day long and had nothing to do.

When we arrived at the campground we were told that the rest of the group already made a reservation in a restaurant for dinner. What about me? When do I get my food?
My humans went over to Dwight’s to get the tent out of his car. Dwight told my humans that he and Dave will go to a hotel and they invite us to come with them to share a room. That was music in my ears. I mean, I like the tent and I like to be outside but to be honest, it is a little uncomfortable in the tent on the cold ground with all these mosquitos. They said my master and my mistress worked hard today to shuttle all the cars and they deserve it. I could feel my humans were very touched by that gesture and felt a little sad. They are not really used to be treated like this. My mistress worked hard most of her life.
My mistress went with Dwight in his car and my master went with Dave. They went to a motel but they did not have any vacancies. There was another hotel on the other side of the street called Comfort Inn. They hade spare rooms there, even with me, the service dog. Dwight and Dave gave us a key and we went into the room. We thought we would share one room with them but they booked two rooms – one for them and one for us. This was a big room and we had a lot of space. My humans put my blanket on the floor and I felt save. They even thought about bringing me food and my bowl. They fed me and after that we went across the street to meet the others in the restaurant – Finnegan’s. After having my food I was tired, it was a hard day for me. I fell asleep in the restaurant and my humans had Lasagna and had fun with the others. Walter and Donna invited them for dinner. These are awesome people; they take really good care of my humans. I am very thankful for this and I know my humans are too.

After dinner we went back to the hotel and went to bed. I was so tired. My humans told me we had to get up early again as we had to be at the camp ground at 7.30 am.





Professional Reader


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021

Mediterranean Sea and running free in Broccostella – October 17, 2021