June 25, 2017 - Two Rivers (Deux rivières) to Pointe aux Pines Lodge / Swisha

June 25, 2017 Two Rivers – Pointe aux Pines Lodge / Swisha

My humans and all the other paddlers got up early again. It was raining again and my humans had to put down the tent. They had breakfast and after that my mistress and the other drivers took off to transfer the cars to the next launching point. My master and I stayed at the campground in Two Rivers until they came back. He stayed on the pier with me what meant they were fewer mosquitos. These mosquitos bit me in my belly, in my ears, in my very private parts, in my nose, just everywhere. It itched and I could hardly sit still. My mistress hasn’t seen the bites yet and she got mad with me because I could not sit still. But after she found out she tried to cool my belly to help me feel better.

They arrived about one hour later and the paddlers went into the canoes. My humans had to bring the remaining two cars to the next stop.
When my master wanted to start the Van he had to drive it did not start, as the battery was dead. Luckily one of the neighbors on the campground had a cord for a boost. After the boost the car started easily and we could drive to Swisha.
Alan had a Mercedes Benz station wagon and I could sit in the back and relax while we were driving. It was still raining and there wasn’t much to do.
My humans went into the Pointe aux Pines Lodge in Swisha where we all had rooms for the night. We had a cabin and Marc, Marc, Nick and Tim had a cabin too. The cabins were a little further up the hill at the backside of the Lodge.
The Lodge belongs the Mayor of Swisha, Mayor Jim Gibson. He is a very nice guy. Later that day we met his wife too. This place is called Rapides de Joachims or “The Swisha” which means Island in the stream.
The house was built in 1806 (this might be wrong) as I fell asleep when the Mayor told us the story.

My humans moved into the cabin after we arrived and there was a patio in the front too, covered with screens to sit outside.
It was still early and they did not have food for me any more. My humans decided to drive to Deep Water, the next bigger town, to get some dog food for me. Did I mention that they take good care of me?

In Deep Water they found a supermarket where they got dog food and when we wanted to leave again the car battery was dead again. Luckily the Fire Station was just on the opposite site of the supermarket and these two very nice firemen helped us boosting the car.

We returned to the Lodge and my humans went into the big gazebo of the lodge to go online and publish some of my stories. They said they need to work too but seriously, all they do is sit in front of these things they call computer and stare at it and move their fingers (they called it typing).
Tim, Marc, Marc and Nick were already there and one of the paddlers too. Something must have happened. Where was the rest of the brigade?
They told us that one of the paddlers did not feel well and that they took her here on the fast route. Also there was someone new in the Brigade. Her name is Mary and she is very friendly, just like all the others. They all seem to like me and they say I am well behaved, whatever this means. They pet me and say Hi to me. I am really a part of this and I enjoy this a lot.

In the evening Tim got a call that the other canoe, the Boona, will arrive soon at the pick up point. They Mayor and his wife wanted to come too to greet them. We all drove there to get the canoes and load them on the trailers.
As soon as we went out of the cars we were attacked by millions of mosquitos. They followed my mistress in a swarm and she couldn’t even take pictures.

After we got back to the Lodge my mistress continued writing down my story and I told her how my day was. They served watermelon and my mistress had some of it. I don’t like watermelon that much. Some of the brigade prepared fish in the kitchen.

While they had dinner (the Canadians call it supper) they watched movies about voyageurs.

Let me tell you a little bit about the canoes, the Voyageurs, this event and the connection to Canada. Canoes and kayaks have been integral to Canada’s history. There are many rivers and lakes in Canada and it is a nation of rivers and a river of nations. The indigenous people designed these elegant boats. Canoe trips bring this to mind. Water is an organic compound essential for all life on earth.
According to the Heritage Perth “the mission” of the Four Wind Brigade of Canada Day 2017 “is to highlight the spirit of reconciliation between indigenous and non-indigenous people for our collective future, and with ecosystems along these waterways that support life of all living creatures.
The journey will show the historic role of the voyageur canoe and Canada’s rivers in the founding of our nation. It will celebrate the historical and ecological significance of rivers like the Ottawa, Rideau and Gatineau that connect our communities, our ecosystems, and our people through time and geography and at the same time, show the need to protect them. It will also celebrate the canoe as an icon of the Canadian values of cultural cooperation, international trade and respect for the environment.”

The voyageurs traveled the rivers with their canoes carrying goods like blankets, pots, coffee and much more and they traded this for beaver furs, buffalo furs and others. They had a rough life on the canoe but at the same time it was a good life.

My humans went to bed late and we had a good night.






Professional Reader

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021

Mediterranean Sea and running free in Broccostella – October 17, 2021